Strength, Experience, Compassion And Courtesy
Christopher Paul Twyman
Attorney / Managing Partner
Christopher P. Twyman is a native of Rome, Georgia. He currently serves as the Managing Partner and leads the litigation practice at Cox Byington Twyman LLP.
Mr. Twyman is a graduate of East Rome High School's class of 1992 and served as President of his class. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Georgetown University in 1996 and obtained his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Georgia School of Law in 1999, where was elected to the Order of Barristers. As a member of the University of Georgia School of Law's American Bar Association Moot Court Team, Mr. Twyman was a member of the 2018 Regional Championship Team and was awarded Best Brief.
Mr. Twyman was admitted to the State Bar of Georgia in 1999. He is admitted to practice in all Georgia trial and appellate courts, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Twyman has also been admitted pro hac vice to represent clients in state and federal courts in Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina.
Mr. Twyman practices in the areas of commercial and general business litigation, real estate litigation, banking law, school and education law, and criminal defense. Mr. Twyman practices in state and federal courts. His practice includes representing clients in complex civil and criminal matters such as actions under the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations (RICO) statutes, partnership and shareholder disputes including corporate dissolution actions, and employment discrimination claims.
Mr. Twyman has tried civil and criminal jury trials in state and federal courts. He has represented clients throughout Georgia and in courts and legal proceedings all over the United States. Mr. Twyman also served as counsel in appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, the Georgia Supreme Court, and the Georgia Court of Appeals, having argued cases before Georgia's appellate courts.
Mr. Twyman has been recognized for his accomplishments in the field of law. He was named as a Georgia Super Lawyers honoree in 2021, 2022, and 2023 (less than 5% of Georgia lawyers are recognized as Super Lawyers) and was named a Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
Mr. Twyman was elected to the State Bar of Georgia Board of Governors, which governs and sets policy for Georgia's 54,000 lawyers. He served as chair of the Professional Liability Insurance Study Committee (2019-2021) and vice-chair of the Committee on Insurance. Mr. Twyman was elected and served as Secretary of the State Bar of Georgia in 2022. He currently serves as the Treasurer of the State Bar of Georgia for the 2023-2024 Bar year.
Bar affiliations, memberships, and service include:
- Member, State Bar of Georgia (1999-Present);
- Member, State Bar of Georgia Board of Governors (2017-Present; Treasurer, 2023-present; Secretary, 2022-2023);
- Chair, State Bar Committee on Professional Liability Insurance (2019-2021);
- Member, Georgia Office of Bar Admissions Board to Determine Fitness of Bar Applicants (2019-2023; Vice-Chair, 2021-2023);
- Member, Georgia Board of Court Reporting of the Judicial Council of Georgia (2018-2020);
- Member, American Bar Association;
- Member, Rome Bar Association (President, 2005-2006);
- Member, Gate City Bar Association
- Member, Circuit Public Defender Supervisory Panel, Rome Judicial Circuit (2013-Present);
- Special Assistant Attorney General (Trial Counsel) for Georgia Department of Transportation (2012-2013);
- Barrister, Joseph Henry Lumpkin Inn of Court (Master, 2021- Present; Barrister, 2003-2004; Pupil, 1998-1999);
- Member, University of Georgia Younger Law Alumni Committee (2001 - 2002);
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- J.D. - 1999
- Georgetown University, Washington, Georgia
- B.A. - 1996
- Major: Government (International Relations Concentration)
Past Employment Positions
- Hine & Niedrach, P.C., Associate, 1999 to 2000
- Edward Hine, Jr., P.C., Associate, 2000 to 2003
- Hine & Twyman, P.C., Partner, 2004 to 2005
- Cox Byington, P.C., Partner, 2005
- Criminal Defense
- Estate Planning
- Banking Law
- Family Law
- Business Law & Litigation
- Personal Injury
- State v. Williams, Ga.App., S.E.2d (2005 WL 2357888), 2005, Ga. App.
- Wiggins v. State, 272 Ga.App. 414, 612 S.E.2d 598, 2005, Ga. App.
- Mitchell Family Development Co., Inc. v. Universal Textile Technologies, LLC, 268 Ga.App. 869, 602 S.E.2d 878, 2004, Ga.App.
- Mitchell Family Development Co., Inc. v. Universal Textile Technologies, LLC, 54 UCC Rep.Serv.2d 402, 4 FCDR 2652, 2004
- Anderson v. State, 265 Ga.App. 146, 592 S.E.2d 910, 4 FCDR 323, 2004, Ga. App.
- Carter v. State, 261 Ga.App. 204, 583 S.E.2d 126, 3 FCDR 1530, 2003, Ga. App.
- Baird v. Kelley, 250 Ga.App. 393, 551 S.E.2d 810, 1 FCDR 2141, 2001, Ga. App.